Did you know that one of the chief reasons for disorganization and clutter is lack of, or an ineffective time management system. If you want to organize your home you need to keep these 3 points in mind.
3 Points for Eliminating Clutter
- Organizing is an ongoing process. It is not something that you do once, and it’s finished forever. (Just like getting and staying fit!
- Anything that requires an action also requires your time. Schedule a specific block of time to organize (not an entire day).
- Your time is like your space. If you try to fit too much on to a counter or desk top, things will pile up, get lost, you’ll waste time looking for what you need, and you may miss deadlines. Your weekly calendar is just like that space, it has limits (for most of us, 24 hours). Learn to estimate time realistically; don’t over-schedule.
Create a System!
Organizing your home means creating a system so that everything has its place. When you are done using things or working on a project, put everything back in its place. It will create order and you will always be able to find what you need. Think location, location, location. Create storage for items so that they are accessible to where you are likely to use them. This also saves time putting things away after their use.
Storage for Less Clutter
Storage is important for organizational, time saving, and safety reasons. Store contained items in clear containers when possible. This will reduce the need to label. Contain like items together so that you can be aware of how much you have on hand. This will help you avoid the need to over-shop and save money.
Less is More
Finally, the saying that “less is more” applies to all types of organizing. I call it the “1-At-A-Time” Rule.
- Work in 1 area at a time.
- Work on 1 task at a time.
- Work for 1 dedicated block of time.
I hope that you find this common sense approach helpful and that you enjoy your organized home.
Denise Levine is a Time Management Coach, Organizer at “Outside In Organizer and Makeovers”
About The Author: Denise Levine is the Owner of Outside In Organizer and Makeovers. She is a speaker and the author of “Organizing Your Life From Outside In, Inspirations For Women Who Want to Simplify Their Lives.” Denise is a member of the National Association of Professional Organizers and currently, the Vice President of the San Diego chapter.
Images Courtesy of Canva.