The most common heating, ventilation, and air conditioning (HVAC) problems that homeowners face include uneven temperature, leaking ducts, water damage, and continuous running of a heat pump. If your HVAC system is already old, it helps to hire an HVAC contractor to clean and repair your heating and cooling units.
If you’re planning to hire an HVAC contractor in Watertown, NY, here are some of the important questions to ask to ensure you get your money’s worth.
HVAC Contractor Questions to Ask
Are You a Licensed and Insured HVAC Contractor?
It’s important to work with an HVAC contractor who’s able to meet the minimum standards through adequate training and experience.
Here are the important things you need to confirm with the HVAC contractor:
- HVAC Technician’s Key Skills: The key skills of an HVAC professional include good hand-eye coordination, great troubleshooting skills, and highly knowledgeable in handling specialized HVAC tools and equipment, such as air gauges, power tools, refrigerant pressure meters, voltage meters, and power hacksaws.
- Educational Background: To become an HVAC technician, the person must have finished post-secondary education or HVAC training or apprenticeship.
- Experience: The apprentice must have at least two years of experience to be fully employed and become a full-fledged HVAC technician. Also, it’s important to hire a licensed HVAC technician with the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) certification in refrigerant handling.
With regard to bonds and insurance, a legitimate contractor always ensures that the company and its clients are protected from any liability associated with the wrong installation or any untoward accident during HVAC repair. Choosing a bonded and insured contractor will protect you from legal consequences and financial burdens if an HVAC technician sustains injuries during the performance of his duty.
What Brands Do You Carry?
HVAC contractors carry different brands, and if you have a specific brand that you want to use, make sure to choose one that carries that brand. By doing so, you’ll have their full support if ever something happens to your unit.
The other way you can find out about this information is by checking the website of the HVAC contractor. If you can’t find the information, get the contact number displayed on the site and call to ask and verify.
Can You Give Me References?
One way to save time, money, and effort searching for a reliable contractor is to obtain references. Ask for at least three references and make sure to contact each to get an idea of how the HVAC company treats their customers.
The purpose of these references is to give you feedback on the quality, price, and timeliness of the work of the HVAC contractor.
Is My HVAC Project Qualified for Tax Rebates?
Many HVAC manufacturers are offering rebates on certain heating and cooling model units. Also, the federal government may also offer tax credits. To meet these requirements, make sure that your HVAC project is well-documented.
What Makes You the Best HVAC Contractor in Town?
Above all things, it’s crucial to choose a contractor who can guarantee their HVAC services. No matter what the HVAC company promises, check online reviews. Find reviews through comments in social media and review sites, (like Angie’s List) and complaints to the Better Business Bureau.
Ask some follow up questions about these areas:
- HVAC System Inspection: It must include inspection of ductwork, sealing, and electrical components. Ask about HVAC load and sizing calculations. Regular maintenance must also include outdoor and indoor units to make the most out of your HVAC services. Also, ask about maintenance plans they might offer.
While you might be able to do some DIY HVAC repairs, it’s still best to hire a professional to ensure the quality of work and to save you more money.
- Written Agreement: The contract must bear all verbal agreements, such as bids, certification, documentation, and pricing. The details of HVAC units must be indicated in the contract, including the quantity, model names, model numbers, and manufacturer warranties.
- Equipment: Make sure that the HVAC contractor uses the best tools and equipment to do the job. Using the latest tools and equipment makes HVAC work faster and easier so you and your family can resume normal daily activities sooner.
Asking the questions gives you peace of mind that you’ll be able to choose a qualified, experienced, and dependable HVAC expert. That way, when you encounter HVAC problems, you’ll know right away who to call.
Fixing your HVAC issues immediately means a more comfortable home for you and your family every time. If you have tips you’d like to add, please do so in the comments below. Additionally, you will find other interesting links below for your enjoyment of all things design.