The word ‘’soot’’ might sound unfamiliar to some people, but it is something that many see every day. Soot is a black particle chiefly composed of carbon and produced by incomplete combustion of coal, wood, oil, dust, and soil. If it goes untreated or uncleaned, the soot particles can be inhaled deep into the lungs which cause various breathing problems such as bronchitis and aggravated asthma.
A fireplace made with glass is an appealing addition to the house. However, in addition to its aesthetic qualities, it keeps us warm during the cold season and it also increases the market value of the home. For a functional fireplace, frequent cleaning and maintenance need to be taken seriously. Here is all you need to know about how to clean your fireplace glass.
Your Guide to Rid Your Fireplace Glass Door of Sticky Soot
⎆ Why do you need to clean your fireplace glass frequently?
Why should you clean your fireplace glass frequently? I am glad you asked! Generally, cleaning is not a chore many people like, but it is a very important chore if you want to live a healthy life.
It is true that our body has various defense mechanisms to deal with the dust we breathe in. The problem is that soot is that kind of dust that overwhelms the body in unhealthy ways.
Here are some of the harmful effects of fireplace soot:
- Reduced lung function.
- Airways irritation that causes wheezing, coughing, and airway blockage.
- Chronic lung conditions like aggravated asthma, shortness of breath, and COPD.
- In rare cases, soot particles can increase the risk of stroke and heart attack in susceptible people.
Of course, aside from the prevention of all the above illnesses, cleaning your fireplace glass regularly will also make it last longer and always looking nice.
⎆ How to clean your fireplace glass if soot builds up over time.
There is more than one way to get this done, you can use any of the below methods depending on the availability of the cleaning materials. Before you start cleaning, remove the fireplace glass and place a plastic tarp under it to keep the area clean. As you might imagine, cleaning soot can really mess up your living room. In fact, preferably, clean your glass fireplace in your garage or outside.
- One of the ways you can clean your fireplace glass is by using paper towels or newspapers and ash: Dip the newspaper or paper towel in ash and wipe the glass door gently in a circular manner. This loosens up the soot on the glass. Next, repeat it several times until the glass is completely soot-free. Then finish off by using a regular cleaning cloth to clean off the ashes on the glass.
- The second way to get this done is by using vinegar and ammonia. First, mix one teaspoon of ammonia, one cup of vinegar, and three cups of warm water in an empty spray bottle. Then, spray the solution on the soot and allow it to sit for one or two minutes. Next, wipe in a circular manner with a clean cotton cloth until it is completely soot-free. Repeat this process two to three times. Tip: The above cleaning method can be used for countless cleaning needs and not just for removing soot. From scrubbing the bathtub grime to tile cleaning, this method is handy in many ways.
- Note: Never use a razor to clean your fireplace glass doors. Using razors might look helpful from the start but it will cause more harm than good in the long run. When you use razors, it leaves scratches on the glass door. Ceramic glass is the glass type usually in use for fireplace doors and this type of glass is weaker than the normal glass pane, so using razors on the glass can reduce its lifespan.
⎆ Fantastic glass cleaning products available online.
In some cases where the above cleaning materials do no do the job, you must get products formulated to handle stubborn soot. Fab Glass and Mirror is your one-stop shop to get these cleaning products to help you get this done with less hassle. Glass & mirror cleaner foam and sparkle cleaner and stain remover are the products you need to handle all forms of domestic stains and not just fireplace glass soot.
Whichever cleaning method you choose, whether it is homemade cleaning materials or readymade cleaning products, be sure to clean regularly to avoid build-up.
⎆ Final thoughts.
How to clean fireplace glass is not as difficult as most people think. With these tips, you will certainly get a good-looking fireplace glass door. Plus, it will help your fireplace last longer and work more efficiently. If you have any questions or further suggestions, please leave them in the comments below. Also below, you will find links that take you to more interesting articles about ALL things DESIGN for your home or family.
Images Courtesy of Canva.