Is it time to replace your roof? If so, you probably want to determine the cost to replace a roof. This may be necessary if your old roof is at the end of its lifetime or has significant damage. These damages can be caused by temperature shifts, extreme weather, or other events that alter the condition of your roof.
Replacing your roof isn’t inexpensive, but it’s necessary as your roof is your home’s first line of defense. If your roof is showing wear, it might be time for you to sit down and calculate the cost to replace a roof. To that end, we invite you to continue reading for the information you need to know.
How to Determine the Cost to Replace a Roof
One of the first things to know when it comes to roof replacement is the best time to do a replacement.
⎆ Roof Replacement: When is it time?
Is it time to replace your roof? There are a few warning signs that might indicate your roof is due for a replacement, such as:
- Mold growth between your shingles.
- Missing shingles.
- The deck of the roof is rotted.
- Structural damage to the roof base.
- Light shining into the attic.
- Roof leak and water damage.
If your roof material is expected to last a certain duration and has exceeded that, it’s a good time to look at hiring a professional to replace your roof. There are a lot of long-term benefits to a full replacement and sometimes just fixing the damages isn’t enough.
⎆ Location determines the right materials.
Your roof replacement cost will depend on a number of factors, but one of the most important things to remember is the material. You want to choose a material that is affordable for your budget but can also stand up to the weather/seasonal changes your local area experiences.
For example, Calgary roofers might suggest roofing material that is more durable or resistant to severe storms due to the unpredictable nature of the weather experienced in the local area.
Depending on where you live, you may benefit from a different material. Consult with the professionals in your community to learn more about what roof is best for your home based on the risks your local weather scene poses.
⎆ The average cost to replace a roof.
Depending on where you live, the ranges for roof replacement can vary immensely. However, the national average for roof replacement ranges between $7,000 and $12,000. This is an estimate for a 2,000 sq.ft. roof that has architectural shingles and two stories. Your home and roof may be very different than the average so it’s never a bad idea to ask your local roofing professional for an estimate.
⎆ Factors impacting the cost of your roof replacement.
Roof replacement does not have a single “average” cost, as it can depend on a few different factors. These might include the following:
- The size of your roof – the more surface area there is, the more materials are needed. This can increase the cost of your replacement if you have a large roof.
- The roofing materials you use – some are more expensive than others. Traditional shingles may not cost the same as architectural shingles or metal panels.
- The installation of decking, vents, flashing, underlayment, and more. If your roof base has seen significant damages, these costs may be necessary and increase your overall end price.
- The slope of your roof – this adds to the total square footage of your roof and typically the steeper a roof is, the more it will cost to replace it as roofers may need special equipment to keep themselves safe while they work.
- Your existing roof’s condition – if your roof is heavily damaged, then there may need to be the removal or demolition of your prior roof base before a new one can be installed. This can make a roof replacement far costlier than if your previous roof was in moderate condition.
- Where you live will also impact the cost of your roof replacement, especially if hourly labor rates differ or the cost of materials is different in other geographical regions. Local building permits/inspections may add to the cost, and roofing contractor rates can differ.
It doesn’t hurt to ask your roofing professional for a quote of your finished roof replacement to see if it’s a number that works within your budget or if you need to make adjustments in order to make it work.
Setting aside a budget for a roof replacement is never a bad idea but discussing with a professional and asking for an estimate or quote is the best way to go about it. Some key points to consider when it comes to roof replacement, the cost factors are as follows:
- Location matters, as does a number of other factors, like the size of the roof, roof removal, slope, etc.
- The rates of roofing contractors will vary, but it can be a sign that your roofer is underinsured or otherwise cuts corners if they charge relatively low rates. A roof replacement is not something that is only “good enough.”
- Inspect your roof regularly to assess any damages and do repairs as necessary. If your roof is nearing the end of its life or there are significant structural damages, repairs may not be adequate enough – it might be time to replace your roof.
If you have any suggestions or questions, we’d love to hear from you in the comments below. Also below are links to take you to more excellent articles about ALL things DESIGN for your home or business.
Images Courtesy of Canva.