This journey has taken me places I never dreamt of being. The really cool thing is that I am learning something new every day. I am also learning how to do what I do in different ways, which I believe is working SMART!
The internet is so vast…it can suck the money right out of you or it can offer you free solutions. I am always interested in the free solutions first. I am going to share with you the free solutions that I have found that help my sites get recognized by the search engines and seen by the public. I am not going to go into a step by step process of how to implement them, that is something you will have to Google and learn how to do, as did I.
- After you get your sites built you want to first create a sitemap.xml file. This is how the search engines index you. You can link directly to the site map from your website or upload your sitemap using Google Webmaster tools.
- If you are selling products like I am with www.PDBHomeStore.com then it is a must to set up optimized product feeds. You then can submit your feed to places like TheFind, Google product search, MSN Shopping, Price.com, myTriggers.com, & PriceScan. Data feeds will create more traffic and sales. This will put you, the small fish in a large pond at the top of the search page!
- Press releases are great! Introduce your company and what you are about by a press release. You can pay to have this done or you can go to a FREE site. Some of the most popular ones are PR.com, PRlog.org, OpenPR.com, Free-Press-Release.com, 1888PressRelease.com, i-Newswire.com, 24-7PressRelease.com, TheOpenPress.com, PRUrgent.com, PressMethod.com and eCommWire.com.
- Start a blog it’s FREE. As I said previously, promote yourself and what you know…you are the EXPERT! Use a free platform like Typepad.com, Blogger or WordPress.
- Create social media accounts, they are FREE. We talked about the ones I am on, Twitter, Facebook and linked in. Remember that you want to work your social media accounts. Don’t just create them and let them sit…work it!
- Create social bookmarking accounts; it is a great way to gain traffic and backlinks. This is a great source for an e-commerce site just getting started. Some of the most known sites are Reddit, Digg, Delicious, StumbleUpon. I found AddThis which is a platform that has most of the bookmarks under one button.
- Sign up for HARO (Help a Reporter Out). Talk about FREE PR, this is the bomb. HARO is queries from various media outlets needing content. It is made up of journalists and bloggers looking for expert opinions, stories and products. I check my HARO newsletter every day to see if I can contribute to a story. My work and my quotes have been published nationally and internationally through this source.
- You want to sign up for all the local search pages. Google Places, Yelp, Yellowpages, CitySearch, SuperPages, INsiderPages, Merchant Circle Bing Local and Yahoo Local just to name a few.
Every day I jump into the unknown Googling and searching for ways to work SMART in a world struggling to make ends meet. I look at my hero’s like Steve Jobs, Bill Gates and Mark Zuckerberg and I know they worked SMART. I am taking what I know and developing a new way to succeed and all the while learning a whole new wealth of knowledge. The knowledge that I am learning may take me into another direction I have never even thought of and that alone excites me!